Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuna still around?

They have to be gone by now right? It's been like 6 straight days!

Well, by 10am I thought I had my answer, by 2pm I had changed it, and then by the time I closed the shop I had no clue!

Waymon Wong fished with his Mom and Father-in-law. Unfortunately, Rose didn't do too well with the seas and they had to cut their trip short. I was actually still at the gym when Rene the Mechanic/Dock Manager/Carpenter/Shop Keeper/etc called and said the Wong's were back and he was....packaging their fish? But it was 9:30am? 30 minutes out, 30 minutes back, that puts them at about an hour and forty five minutes of fishing. They caught and released a Striped Marlin, actually it was 68 year old Wing Tsang. Wing was probably the most excited I have seen someone this year about catching a Marlin. Helps you remember why we do what we do. He told me Tequilla and Cigarettes have kept him strong all these years. They also caught 3 Yellowfin and a Dorado in that time frame. Amazing.

So it's 9:30am and they got 3 Tuna right off the bat. Tuna are still arond.

Next back was RedRum, Steve Stivaly and his crew were back and no White (Yellowfin) flags were flying?? They caught 3 nice Dorado, but Captain Omar told me that the Yellowfin bite had slowed down. 3 Dorado is nothing to complain about though, and they enjoyed the fish over at Misiones de Kino which is always a treat.

Ok, now I am confused, Damon Petta and his friend from Pasadena, California (same city that the Rose Bowl is played, pretty sure TCU won that bowl last year) just got back and they had a killer day...and hammered 6 Yellowfin Tuna, as well as 1 Dorado and 1 Striped Marlin.

Jimmy Hehir and his family didn't help me figure anything out as far as the Yellowfin bite because they wanted to focus on Billfish and Dorado. And that they did, fishing on Marlin Too, 3 Striped Marlin and a Mako Shark were caught and released. They also lost a few Dorado and a Wahoo. Another great day for the Hehir family.

Now it's 3pm and TantRum just got back. My decision is done, Yellowfin are gone. Jeremy Thompson and his buddies Alan and Anthony Osborne from Tucson, Arizona couldn't find any Tuna, but did manage to catch and release a nice Striped Marlin!

3:30pm, and Alex and Manuel just got back on El Nuevo... As you might imagine, 7 Yellowfin Tuna and 1 Marlin. Unbelievable.

No clue what to expect or what to tell you, you've heard it a million times, but that's why they call it fishing!

-Ryan

No comments: